">
2022 Shannons Winter Timed Online Auction
Lot
73

1925 Douglas 2 HP (TS) Motorcycle (Project)

$7,296

Melbourne

Sold

Specifications

Engine 350cc Twin-cylinder
Gearbox 2-speed manual
Colour White/red
Trim Brown
Wheels Wire-spoked
Brakes Rear only

Description

This lot is no longer available

Douglas was a British motorcycle manufacturer from 1907 to 1957, based in Kingswood, Bristol. Brothers William and Edwin Douglas founded the Douglas Engineering Company in 1882, initially doing blacksmith and later foundry work. Joseph F. Barter's Light Motors Ltd. was one of Douglas' customers and built a single-cylinder bicycle engine between 1902 and 1904. Barter’s 200cc flat-twin engine was mounted in-line with the frame, using chain drive to a countershaft beneath (with clutch), which was then used a drive belt to power the bicycle's rear wheel. Douglas made castings for Light Motors and took over the manufacturing rights when Light Motors went out of business in 1907. A 350cc Douglas version went on sale, with the engine in-line mounted high in the frame, but without the chain driven countershaft beneath, and with belt final drive. During World War I Douglas was a major motorcycle supplier, making around 70,000 motorcycles for military use. In 1916 two models of Douglas engine were listed, a 350cc unit with the valves placed side-by-side on the side of the engine and a 544cc flat twin with 72mm bore and 68mm stroke. A third engine also produced was the Douglas-made Williamson 964cc Flat Twin made for use in Williamson motorcycles since 1912. In the 1920s Douglas built the first disc brakes, and also had a Royal Warrant for the supply of motorcycles to the Princes, Albert and Henry. It also built a range of cars between 1913 and 1922. Douglas motorcycles also became popular in dirt track competition, dominating racing for about three years between 1928 and 1930. The Endeavour, a 494cc shaft drive model came out in 1934. Again, this was a flat-twin but for the first time Douglas fitted it across the frame instead of in-line. In 1935 Douglas was taken over by BAC (Bond Aircraft and Engineering Company) and motorcycle production continued into World War II and the company expanded into generators. In 1948 Douglas was in difficulty again and reduced its output to just the 350cc flat twin models. The Westinghouse Brake and Signal Company Ltd then bought Douglas out and production of Douglas Motorcycles ended in 1957.